Thursday, December 10, 2009

How many orchestra concerts have you been to?

Which orchestra did you see, and what did they play? I've seen the Minnesota Orchestra play a Ravel Favorites concert last summer. They played The Mother Goose Suite, La Valse, and Bol茅ro. It was the greatest thing I ever saw. And then last night I went and saw The Rochester Symphony Orchestra(my hometown orchestra!) play the Prelude to Hansel and Gretel by Humperdinck, and Rimsky Korsakov's Sheherazade. It was amazing! I'm a huge Sheherazade fan.



Anyways, who and what did you see?



Ravelinsky



How many orchestra concerts have you been to?amc theater



I'm 73, and have been a classical music lover since I was about 11-12 years old. But, during adolescence, lived on a farm in a rural area of Arkansas; you can well imagine how many symphony orchestras were performing there at that time: 0.



I did however attend a concert, my first, at age 6 yrs.: it was the Houston Symphony, and the only thing I remember, was how boring it was, and I couldn't wait for it to be over.



The second, was when the band instructor of our high school(in Arkansas, I was a sophomore)invited me to accompany him to St.Louis, to hear that city's orchestra performing with of all people, Margaret Truman, as soloist. Was thrilled by the orchestras performance(don't remember what they played), but Miss Truman was absolutely, unbelievably terrible.



There were two reasons for her being engaged: one, she was the Presidents daughter; and two, her mentor was a famous Wagnerian diva at the time, Helen Traubel: she was the then reigning Mets. Wagnerian soprano. Great voice, great singer.



Since then, I've attended numerous concerts. The most memorable:



A touring Philidelphia under Ormandy in San Francisco: Wagner's Overture to "Die Meistersinger".



The Pittsburgh under Steinburg in Loisville, Kentucky: Tschaikowsky's "5th Symphony".



Numerous St.Louis Symphony concerts under Vladamir Gloissman(sp-?): Wagner's "Parsifal prelude and complete Act III"; concert version(in its entirety)Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde" with Helen Traubel and Lauritz Melchoir"(think it was complete, maybe only Act II).



And could go on and on, but am getting "typer's cramp", so will have to end.



Alberich



How many orchestra concerts have you been to?concerts opera theater



well i play the violin so most of the concerts ive been to ive played in
I work for a orchestra. I run the stage/house lights. I don't really care for the music, some is good don't get me wrong. But it is cool to see watch them play. And that is funny, the play Hansel and Gretel by Humperdinck, I helped set up for and put the show on. It was a life size puppet show. All the people were French Canadians. They were awesome to work for!
ive played more than ive watched (this is because i am a 1st violinist with the LSO, so on average we do about 20 concerts a season including tours and the BBC proms season. we also play a lot of music for films too. i suppose the last concert i saw was last night of the proms last year awesome....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd